Monday 7 February 2011

Getting lost, found and not giving up the gravy fight!

Today I think we spent more time getting lost than anything else. 7 am start, not very happy at all, thought we had to be at the University for a Greek language class. I vaguely remembered someone saying something about it being not on, but I wasn't 100%, so we went in anyways. We got there and looked around for the class we were supposed to be taking. No sign of it. Asked one of the librarians, she wast very aggressive in her answer, but I dont think she knew anything either. Abigail and Gareth were planning on coming in for lunch time, and so we were going to meet them at the University. Whilst waiting I had a chocolate milkshake and it was fabulous, Kyle had a Freddo which is a very Greek thing to have in this city. Its essentially a cold coffee drink, and everywhere you go you see Greeks drinking them, including the hospital. Yes on the ward. It was a very nice day so we sat outside enjoying the sunshine for a change. We then decided to go and talk to the lady from the international office, she told us that class didn't start until the 1st of march. I was not amused. Neither was Kyle. so we arranged to meet Abigail and Gareth in town and go to the more local free cafeteria. Well we got on the wrong bus didn't we and ended up god knows where, because we certainly had no clue. But we saw a shopping centre and jumped of the bus we were on to have a look around. I have still not given up on my hopes of finding some gravy granules. We have searched many, many shops now and still  no luck. We asked for directions back to Syntagma, and found that we would have to get a bus to Omonia instead, this was close enough for us.
In Omonia we asked which to go to Victoria station, a local was very nice and gave us clear directions. we followed them but couldnt find the area that we needed, which was Vathis Square. We didnt know it at the time but both of these locations are no where near each other. After getting lost, again, for an hour we asked for directions in a Best Western Hotel. They gave us the right directions and a map, because I managed to memorise the address of the cafeteria I was able to ask for this directly.
We made it! Finally after hours of being lost in Athens, we made it to the free food place and boy were we hungry. The only thing on the plate I could identify was a burger, the rest I was unsure of, the potatoes I have had before and were nice, the rice dish I had no idea about but it looked as though there was spinach in it.
Meanwhile Abigail and Gareth had also gotten themselves lost on the way, and rang me for directions, I used the map while telling them which way to go. In the end me and Kyle decided we would go find them. We met them on the right road at least, so this was good news. We chatted while they had their free lunch, and then split off into our pairs again, me and Kyle going one way, Abigail and Gareth another.
Finally back in Syntagma we had a wander around the Flea market because Kyle wanted an ashtray for the baclony and I wanted a bandana. The merchants kept trying to get us to spend money in their shop by yelling things in Greek at us. Which obviously did them no good as we didnt understand what they were saying. Kyle managed to find an ashtray for a couple of euros, I found a square of patterned silk to use as a bandana, and we also remembered the Kyle needed a button for one of his pairs of jeans, so he bought that as well. Which no doubt I'll be sewing on later.
On our way home we bought some more groceries so we would be able to have something proper to eat tonight, instead of sandwiches or toasties. Tonight I peeled potatoes, cut up the onion, grated the cheese and did the washing up, very efficient. Kyle started joking on that it had only been a week and he had domesticated me. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MEE!" I yelled in jest back at him, which made us laugh even more. And so on tonights menu is: roasted vegetables and cauliflower cheese. The butchers was closed and the mince we have got would take hours to defrost as we have no microwave, So vegetarian it is then.
And thats pretty much it for today, we are on placement tomorrow so if there is no post its because nothing of interest happened, but am sure something will.
Goodnight x

No comments:

Post a Comment